history

History of Hillandale


In 1847, Charlie Waters settled at "Badger's End", now known as Hillandale. Waters was a timber cutter by trade and at the time, the property was 70 acres. The cottage was built on the eastern hillside below the garden. Today, only a Mulberry tree, Daffodils and Iris mark the spot of this cottage. It is only known that he had a son and daughter, Jim and Mary- Jane.

Waters' daughter, Mary- Jane, married Henry Willott, from Perthville NSW. Mary- Jane and Henry had six children, two girls and four boys, the younget being Steve Willott. After Mary- Jane's father died, she inherited "Badger's End". After the death of her husband, she and Steve, the youngest child, moved back and turned it into a retreat.

Steve Willott married Rosalie Ord and they had two sons, Desmond and Ray. Rosalie initially came to Hillandale to recover after the death of her husband. It was here she met Steve and they married. Desmond never married, and Ray married Wilma, and they had four children. Desmond lived at Hillandale until his death, and Ray then inherited the property, moving back. One of Ray and Wilma's daughters, Kerry, lived at Hillandale for a period of time.

At one point, Hillandale was a commerical orchard, and there are some remnants of pear, apple and cherry trees still standing on the property.

In 1999, Andrew and Sarah Ryan purchased the property from Ray Willott. Since then, they have set about rejuvenating the 2.5 hectare garden. By extending the garden so as to take in a large dam, once part of the paddock, into which runs a spring fed stream that meanders through the garden. This has created a beautiful body of water and is home to many birds, frogs and insects and adds a contrast to the sweeping grassy hills and large trees that surround the house and property. Meticulous pruning and removing of trees has also allowed sunlight to return to areas of the garden, allowing for a beautiful array of flowers to bloom throughout the garden. Along the north east side of the garden the Ryans have planted a 120 metre long herbaceous perennial border in which grows over 300 different species of plants. This border reaches its peak during late Summer and Autumn.


History of Yetholme


Yetholme is a small village approximately 25km from Bathurst. It is the highest point in the Blue Mountains, standing at 1180 metres above sea level. Hillandale stands at approximately 1150 metres above sea level.
Yetholme was first known as Frying Pan, originating from the early 1800s when a frying pan was left on a hut wall for people to use when walking past.
Yetholme can be accessed via the Great Western Highway, travelling east out of Bathurst.